The Back Story

Early this year in March, I began to find several cystic bumps on my cheek... which was weird as I've only ever gotten acne on my T-zone. I didn't think too much and treated it as I did with my previous breakouts; but it soon spread down to my chin and in time all over my face. At this point, you could probably imagine how much I was freaking out. The products I used to treat my previous "acne outbreak" in junior high didn't work. I was literally scrambling around the drug store and Sephora trying to look for something that could help me.

What I tried

I have very sensitive skin, so I didn't have the option to try every product on the shelf. Thus I turned towards a professional. My doctor prescribed me antibiotics to help with the inflammation and a benzoyl peroxide + erythromycin ointment. For nearly 4 months I used cleansing oil to remove makeup, usually just concealer, and water to cleanse my face. In terms of skincare, I stopped using any toners and serums and only used a nonirritating moisturizer. About 2 weeks ago, I decided to risk it and picked up the Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel. With a cleanser added to my skin regime, the acne was starting heal much quicker. Now just over 6 months since the outbreak, I'm left with no more bumps... just a bunch of scars, thankfully not pitted ones.

The products that Helped Me Through

  1. Nature Republic Forest Garden Argan Oil Cleansing Oil | Honestly, any cleansing oil works as long as none of the ingredients are too irritating. I personally have been using this one for a while now, so I don't really want to make the effort to switch to any other. It removes makeup like a charm and doesn't leave any residue on my face afterwards. That's a big thumbs up from me!
  2. Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel | It's extremely gentle and moisturizing. As I mentioned, it really helped to calm my skin and speed up my healing process. At this point, I don't think I'll be switching cleansers anytime soon. Though I have to say that it is a bit on the pricey side, so I'd suggest doing a bit of research and weigh the pros and cons yourself.
  3. St. Ive's Blemish Control Apricot Scrub | Of all their scrubs, I find this one the most enjoyable to work with. For acne-prone skin, it's really important to exfoliate since many of the skin problems arise from dead skin clogging the pores. 
  4. Innisfree Super Volanic Pore Clay Mask | I've mentioned this countless times... Regardless, I will bring it up again because it does such a stunning job sucking out the dirt and dust that get trapped in my pores throughout the day. This product is officially HG status, yo.
  5. My Beauty Diary Black Pearl Mask | This mask has two main functions: whitening and moisturizing. Acne + benzoyl peroxide = scars and dry skin. So what better way to attack them? Of course, don't expect immediate results. I've been using them at least every other day for the past month or so, and I assure you that my complexion has been improving quite a bit.
  6. Neutrogena Acne Eliminating Spot Gel | This product for me is more like a 'just in case' product. Now that I have my prescription, I rarely ever use it. But when push comes to pull and the benzoyl ointment just isn't working, I bust this out and let it work its magic.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram